ART & DESIGN
At Nutley CE Primary we value creativity. We aim to engage, inspire and challenge children, giving them the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As children progress, they should be able to think critically, know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to our culture, creativity and economy.
A series of art and design lessons are taught at least three times a year which link to the term’s learning journey. Teachers use our progression map to plan lessons that not only ensure that children are building on skills and knowledge, but also provide experience and further challenge in a variety of artistic areas. Children are encouraged to work independently and collaboratively and to learn about a wide range of artists and artistic skills, as well as to design, make and evaluate their own works.
Year 1 and 2:
• use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
• use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
• develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
• learn about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work
Year 3 and 4:
• create sketch books to record their observations
• improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials
• learn about great artists and designers in history
Year 5 and 6:
• add to sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
• further improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
• learn about great artists, architects and designers in history
Our children will leave Nutley CE Primary having acquired a positive experience in a wide range of different arts forms and having learned about a variety of different artists, architects and crafts people. We hope they will continue to have the confidence to express themselves creatively and seek to continue to build on their knowledge and skills with enjoyment.
Click here to see Art & Design Progression
"I like art because we can make different things." Y2